Sunday, January 13, 2019

Dear Families,

Service Project: Our class has a wonderful opportunity to participate in a service project sometime during the last week of January. Emily and Kirk, Pita’s mom and dad, work for Transitions Projects, an agency that housing support, basic services, and shelters for adults experiencing homelessness. They are volunteering their time to come to our classroom to support a conversation about homelessness and poverty and lead students in putting together sack lunches for one of their shelters. I have set up an Amazon Wishlist in hopes that we can include some extra supplies. If you are able to donate towards getting socks, hand warmers and granola bars, click here.


Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Assembly: This Friday, Grout will have our annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Assembly. During choir with Maestro Ryan, we have been learning a song “Free at Last.” The second grade classes will be joining together to perform it at the assembly. Here is a video of the song, so students can practice at home.



Social Studies Curriculum Team: This past Wednesday your students had a substitute teacher because I was at the first meeting for the Social Studies Curriculum design team. I applied for the team last November and found out that I was accepted right before Winter Break. It is a two-year commitment with 5 more meetings this year. I really hate missing days with your students, but I felt like this was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up, given my passion for social studies, ethnic studies and social justice issues and my belief that a good Social Studies curriculum helps students be better citizens and better people. The other days I will be gone for this are: 2/11, 3/20, 4/10, 4/11 and 5/8.
Thank you,
Karen





No comments:

Post a Comment